House Extensions → Your local architects
We believe each client is special and has a story to tell. We listen to your needs and do what it takes to meet your expectations. Combining our energy, knowledge and talents to deliver fantastic client care and strive to develop relationships that make a positive difference to your lives.
Located in North London, XUL Architecture is a commercially minded, client centred architecture practice. We are efficient and responsive, and put particular focus on the client’s experience as well as in finding ingenious ways of bringing light into architecture.
For over 10 years we have been busy designing and taking our clients projects from their initial sketch through to their successful completion – including project management and interior design.
House Extensions → Architecture driven by collaboration and lateral thinking
We believe in constant improvement and encourage change. Our lateral thinking allows us to creatively overcome challenges. Our motto is ‘there is always another way’! We always like to explore alternative design solutions as well as finding the right strategy to suit your needs.
We pride ourselves on having a unique outlook that combines our passion for enhancing our clients’ lives, with the ingenious use of abundant natural light; all whilst keeping the practicalities of the project and the realities of the budget in mind.
House Extensions → 200+ Projects Completed
Our team is comprised of people from all parts of the world, giving us a rich breadth of experience, cultural background, depth of talent and diversity of thoughts. This is accompanied by the added value of having a can do attitude when in front of any challenge. And of course, you can be involved in this creative process as much as you want to be. Design is a dynamic and interactive process!
House Extensions → Inspired by natural light for better living
Our extensive research is based around finding ways in which we can bring more natural light into architecture. This has a positive impact on spatial quality, sustainability, well-being, productivity and creativity.
House Extensions → About XUL Architecture
Our clients are at the core of everything we do here. That’s why we have a dedicated team assigned to each project which will manage things on your behalf.
The RIBA Chartered team will include a Director as well as an experienced ARB Registered Architect and an Architectural Assistant/ Designer. All our staff are talented professionals with a vast amount of experience, covering a range of projects from large commercial buildings abroad, to award winning listed residential properties right here in London.
All projects are reviewed regularly by our Directors. We formally review every project in our Monday morning meetings and then go back over them as required throughout the week.
Our Office Manager is always available to help organise meetings, request quotes and provide support throughout your project.
We have invested greatly into putting a number of systems in place to make sure things run as smoothly as possible so we can spend time providing you with an exceptional service.
House Extensions → What our clients say
Five star service *****
“A totally professional and very approachable team who are so easy to deal with. We had numerous meetings until everything we wanted was put down on paper. Would definitely use this firm again.”
Would 100% recommend
“We looked at four different architects because we were unsure of how much XUL had done in the Hampstead Garden Suburbs. Other practices were way behind in creativity and presentation. XUL saw things that others didn’t and saw the potential of the house. The turn-around time was also exceptional. If I had to do it all again, they would be my architects.”
—Julliette and Michael Overlander
Fantastic Architecture practice
“They get the balance right between listening to brief, stretching ideas and sticking to budget constraints. I would wholeheartedly recommend. They are a delight to deal with!”
A trustworthy and highly creative company
“We experienced XUL as a thoroughly dependable and trustworthy creative team which acted as a supportive partner throughout the project we worked on together. Sebastian got involved in every aspect of the process, and the external consultants he brought in were consistently excellent, contributing greatly to the results achieved. I recommend XUL for any architectural project you may be considering: you will get more than you imagine, including a fulfilling and enjoyable relationship with some deeply committed and creative people.”
House Extensions → Our Guide to House Extensions
If you are considering a home extension, this blog post is a great place to start. We will take a look at some of the benefits of house extensions, as well as providing you with some advice on all of the important matters. So, let’s get started…
What are the benefits of an extension?
There are many reasons why you may want to add an extension to your property. Some of the main benefits include the following…
– To make your home bigger
– To add value to your home
– To save you the hassle and expense of having to move home
– To tailor the design of your property to your family’s needs
– To increase the functionality of your home
– To make use of space that is currently wasted
Some of the considerations when it comes to house extensions
Now that you are aware of the clear benefits that are associated with house extensions, let’s take a look at some of the main considerations you are going to need to think about and address…
– Meet building regulations – You are going to need to meet building regulations. There are some types of extensions that will not need planning permission. For example, some side home extensions can be constructed without permission. This is something that your architect will be able to advise on.
– Access – Not only do you need to consider planning permission, but you need to think about access too. If you live in a terraced property with restricted access, for example, this may have an effect on the options available to you in terms of house extension design.
– Choosing the right experts for the job – You also need to take the time to find the best architects to work on your home extension. If you don’t, you could end up with a disaster on your hands. Read reviews and make sure the architect is registered in the UK.
– Designing for efficiency – In the current day and age, we all recognise our need to do our bit for the planet. Not only this but you are going to want to make sure that your extension does not cause your energy bills to spike. This is why designing for efficiency early on comes recommended.
– Bigger is not always better – It is easy to assume that simply building an extension as big as possible is the best way to get about it. However, this is not always the case. It is all about using the space properly. A smaller extension can feel bigger if the extension has been designed and planned to perfection.
As you can see, there are many benefits that are associated with house extensions, and so it is not hard to see why this is something you are considering for your property. However, there is also a lot that needs to be considered too, which highlights the importance of having an expert team of architects on your side. This is especially the case if you are going to need to be approved for planning permission for your extension.